Last night while checking the links in my blog entry to make sure they worked correctly, we noticed a link on the Children’s Farm website called Goat Stampede. Intrigued, we clicked on it, and found that this is a twice-daily event, occurring once in the morning at 10:10am to get all the goats in to the petting area, and once in the afternoon at 4:10pm to get them back out again (where they are in between times I am a little hazy on). Well, we thought, what could be more fun than a goat stampede? And so we made plans to be there at 10:10 this morning.

So here’s how it works. They’ve got to get all the goats from the upper right part of the farm area to the petting area in the lower left part. They have everybody line the paths along which the goats will run, and then tell us that when the goats come we need to bend over and clap our hands and shout “Come on, babies!! Come on, babies!!” The purpose of this is two-fold: one, to encourage the goats, and two, to form a human fence to keep them from wandering off the path and in to other areas of the farm. So we stretched out to make sure we had the path covered (no gaps for babies to infiltrate) and then here came the goats.

Most of the babies were in front and were running full-tilt while we clapped and shouted (you cannot imagine how amazingly cute this was). Then the mamas came, also moving at a good clip. Then came another, smaller group of babies, but this group was more interested in testing our defenses, so we had to do more clapping and a little bit of cutting off escape routes and herding, but soon enough all the goats were in the petting area. It was really quite an experience – I highly recommend it.

We went in and hung out with the goats for a while, then walked back to the inn and drove over to Rosie’s Diner (in the Cook Street Village area near the inn) for lunch, primarily because they serve breakfast all day and I was in the mood for eggs, bacon and hashbrowns. We had read a couple reviews that said their breakfasts and burgers were good, so it seemed a safe choice. My breakfast was quite good, but Lis said her burger was just OK. The staff was really friendly and attentive, though – it seemed like a really nice place in that way. Several regulars came in while we were there and were very well taken care of.

After our busy morning of goat wrangling, we decided to just hang in the room, reading and resting, because we had another busy time scheduled for the late afternoon. We had read about this event put on by a local group called theater SKAM. It was set on the Galloping Goose bike trail, and involved riding your bike to various places along the trail for performances of mini-plays – up to 10, it said (though I think there were actually only eight).

When planning this vacation we had wanted to include some biking, possibly along this trail, so this seemed a perfect activity. We asked Edward if he knew of a good place to rent bikes, and he directed us to Selkirk Station. We went there at 3pm and they rented us two bikes with helmets, lock and little bags for our belongings, from 3pm Saturday to 3pm Monday, for $80 – pretty good deal. Plus, they were located right near where the SKAM event was, so once we’d paid for our rental and got the bikes all adjusted, we just headed up the Trail.

The tickets were $15 per person, and after we paid we were directed to the bike decorating station to “pimp our rides.” We did our best (decorating is not a strong suit for either of us), and they turned out pretty well. I was particularly pleased with the pretty flowing streamers I had on my hand grips. Turned out what was most fun about the bike decorations, at least for me, was being out on the trail moseying along on our silly bikes, in the way of the serious cyclists in their serious cyclist outfits. They probably didn’t give us a thought, but I had the idea that we were annoying them, and I enjoyed that.

The first 5 performances that we saw (each lasting 5-10 minutes) were very good. Some of them had messages (the best one was about the pine beetle threat to British Columbia’s forests) but they were delivered in a fun and entertaining way. The final 3 were dreadful – preachy and boring and irritating. But, the overall experience was very good, and we got a fair amount of exercise riding up and down the trail to the various venues – Lis thinks we rode about 6 miles altogether (with lots of stops, of course).

It was about 7pm when we finished up with the last performance. Lis still had leftovers from the Jamaican restaurant, so we decided to go to the shopping center that Planet Organic is in, get some dessert for both of us and some take out for me in one of the adjoining shops, and dine in. I got a slice of Hawaiian pizza from Ali Baba Pizza, and we got some So Delicious Chocolate Mint Chip fake ice cream (made with coconut milk rather than regular milk). The store also had a bunch of free chocolate-dipped strawberries out – for us to help them celebrate something (a new store?). Lis celebrated enthusiastically with 5 strawberries – I had 2.

Then back to the room for dinner, and a bath in the jetted tub for Lis (she says it was divine, as was the heated floor and the giant soft bath sheet towel). And then time for bed – we’ve got to get lots of rest for the Harbour Ferry ballet on the morrow:)