We had our B&B breakfast this morning, and it was really good (I think Lis mentioned in her post this morning that it was smelling pretty damn fine). We had a fruit cup of oranges, grapefruit and pineapple (I’m not a huge grapefruit fan, but the orange and pineapple were good) that had no sugar so Lis could eat hers. Edward also brought to the table a small pitcher of cranberry-apple juice, a carafe of decaf coffee for me, and a teapot for Lis’ special throat tea she bought on Tuesday in Port Townsend. Next came a dairy free muffin that was truly divine – it was dark and moist, like carrot cake or zucchini bread. I wished I could have had a second one, but I knew that more food was coming. The main course was oven-puffed mushroom omelet (I forgot to ask what that meant, and couldn’t find a good web site to link to, but scanning the Google search results seemed to indicate that it’s an omelet baked in the oven like a souffle) and three strips of bacon. After serving the main course Edward asked if they could join us (of course they could), and they sat down with their coffee and again we just chatted together for about two hours. We really enjoy these innkeepers very much.

We didn’t have much planned for today – we wanted to go to the bank and exchange some currency, we wanted to go to the health food store to get some Ezekiel muffins and juice for breakfast, and we wanted to go for a walk along the path next to Dallas Road. And, of course, we’d need to feed ourselves. Our first stop was the bank we’d noticed in the Cook Street Village area yesterday. There we received two pieces of bad news – the US dollar was down, and we’d have to pay a $3 fee for the exchange. The teller told us about the poor exchange rate by saying “Our Canadian dollar has gone up,” and I jokingly responded with “Dang you Canadians and your dollar!” At which he actually got his back up a little bit and said (trying to be friendly and joking also but obviously really a touch peeved) “Well, it’s not our fault.” I said “I know, I know,” which seemed to mollify him a bit. Then he said something like “You guys had a president that we didn’t like much up here.” We assured him that we weren’t big fans of that president ourselves (Lis: actually, I believe my words were, “We didn’t like him at all!” which, for me, is actually an understatement), and then he seemed to be our friend again. But I learned my lesson to be much more careful about such things.

After the aforementioned International Incident, it was time for lunch. We decided to go to Spinnaker’s, one of our favorite places in Victoria because they have the best fish and chips ever. We had heard that their quality had gone down a bit, but we are happy to report that we did not experience any drop off – the fish and chips were top notch as usual. I was also very pleased that I was able to get us all the way to Spinnaker’s and back without having to consult a map or turn on the GPS (OK, at the very end I was feeling a little unsure and thought we’d need the GPS, but by the time Lis had it up and running, I had figured things out and we were at our destination).

The weather was gorgeous – sunny and about 70 degrees – and we ate our meal and looked out over the Outer Harbour and watched the tide come in. The other patrons were primarily older to elderly well-dressed, well-coifed straight couples, and casual-Friday looking business type guys who had their Blackberrys in their hands the whole time – they weren’t using them, just holding them and absently fiddling with them. I thought that was kind of funny, though we have very little room to be amused since one or the other of us is usually pulling out the IPhone every few minutes for some reason or other. At least there is still a reason, though – we haven’t devolved yet to just absently fondling the damn thing.

After lunch we went to the store, and we did need the GPS for this trip. However, for the first time, it failed us completely – had us turn on to a totally residential street and then said “Arriving Planet Organic on left.” Of course, we were nowhere near a store of any kind, so we pulled over and handled it the 20th century way – pulled out our Victoria city map and plotted a course. We got to the store without incident and were also able to get ourselves back without GPS or map – we are very pleased with how familiar we are becoming with Victoria, and not just the downtown/Inner Harbour area either. Soon we will be like locals :)

We came back to the room and rested for a bit, and then took our walk. It was a gorgeous, spectacular day – late afternoon, completely sunny, Olympics visible in the distance, sun glinting off the water – really, truly, awesomely scenic. I took several pictures, some of which turned out pretty well – but I can’t share them here, because I forgot to bring the USB cable for the camera, and the USB cable for the IPhone won’t fit. So no pictures until we get home, unless I take a few more IPhone ones. Very sad, as I enjoy moving my pictures over at the end of the day and uploading them to our Picasa web album – ah, well… Lis: Very, very sad, as I do not enjoy handing the IPhone to Mary every 5 minutes so she can take a picture.

For dinner we went to a Jamaican restaurant downtown called The Reef – it was really good. They brought us some Johnnycakes to start with which were SENSATIONAL – maybe the best bread I’ve ever had – I could have just eaten those for dinner. I had a Jamaican stout called Dragon Stout, and Lis had a fruity rum drink with an umbrella in it, and I had jerk chicken with my Caesar salad, and Lis had a tilapia dish, and there was reggae music, and we felt very Caribbean. Plus it was all very good and the waitress was really friendly and cute. And, we again got back to the B&B all by ourselves – all in all, a pretty excellent day.